Last Updated: 9/14/2017
Institutional approval must be granted for proposals to be submitted to a sponsor. At MSU, institutional approval is obtained through a series of intermediate approvals, beginning with the investigators named in the proposal. This job aid details how to find the information in KC, how to answer the proposal certification questions, how to review the Proposal Summary and how to take the desired action (whether to approve the proposal, disapprove the proposal or reject the proposal for revisions). If approved, the proposal will transition to the related PROJECT DISCLOSURE for conflict of interest reporting. This job aid will also detail the steps necessary to complete this disclosure.
Project Investigators/Key Personnel
Upon notification that you have a proposal development document to review. Principal Investigators and Co-Investigators will always be included in the route for approval. Key Personnel will only be included in the route for approval if they have been added to the Combined Credit Split panel. All MSU PI’s, Co-I’s, and Key Personnel should complete a project disclosure for conflict of interest reporting. Those who are in the route to approve the proposal development document will automatically transition to the project disclosure upon approval of the proposal. Key Personnel who are not in the route for the proposal, can access their disclosure by following the instructions provided in the system generated email they receive, or from the notification in their KC Action List.
How to review and approve a proposal
- Click on the Action List button located at the top left of the screen
- Click on the number in the Id column next to the proposal you wish to review. KC will open the proposal and display the Proposal Summary screen where you can review all of the information related to the proposal. KC will open the proposal and display the Proposal Summary screen where you can review all of the information related to the proposal.
- Click the show button on the Budget Summary panel and review all information located in each of the subpanels: Budget Periods, F&A, F&A Allocation Summary and Budget Reports.
- To review the budget in greater detail click the show button on the Budget Reports subpanel and click the Print button corresponding to the Budget Summary Total Report. The system will open the summary report displaying a detailed budget. The budget displayed can also be saved or printed, using the save/print functions within your browser. Note: if the Budget Module within KC was not used to create the budget you may review the attached detailed budget by following the instructions listed below for viewing attachments in the Attachments subpanel (step 10).
- Click the show button on the Key Personnel panel. Find your name in the list of Key Persons and click the show button on the Proposal Person Certification subpanel. The subpanel will display “Complete” if the questions have already been answered and “Incomplete” if they have not been answered.
- To complete the questions, click the radio button corresponding to the answer and click the save button. The save button within the subpanel must be clicked in order to retain the answers to the certification questions. Investigators only have the ability to answer their own questions.
- Click the show button on the Combined Credit Split subpanel to review the F&A Allocation, the identified Post Award Unit, and Space credit.
- Click the show button on the Custom Data Information panel to review the total amount of Voluntary Cost Share committed in the proposal; if no voluntary cost share has been committed, this panel will be blank.
- Click the show button on the Questions panel to see the questionnaires for the proposal. Click the show button for each subpanel that appears to review the questions and responses in each.
- Click the show button on the Attachments panel, and show on the Proposal, Personnel or Institutional Attachments subpanels to view any attachments for the proposal. The attachments may include the detailed budget (if the budget was not created in the KC Budget Module) or items such as a scope of work, any subcontract commitment forms, or budget justification, etc. Click the view button to open the corresponding attachment.
- Click the show button on the Keywords panel to view any keywords that were added for the proposal. Note that the Keywords panel will only appear on the Proposal Summary tab if a keyword has been added within the proposal. These keywords are for internal reporting only and are not submitted to the sponsor.
- Click the show button on the Data Validation panel and click the turn on validation button to review any system identified warnings for the proposal.
- Click the show button on the Print panel to view and/or print the Grants.gov forms associated with the proposal. To print Grants.gov related forms, click show on the Print Grants.gov Forms subpanel and place checks in the boxes to the right of the forms you wish to print and then click the print selected button.
- Following the completion of your review select the appropriate action button at the bottom of the screen to advance the proposal.
NOTE: Be sure to pay particular attention to the statement, located directly above the action buttons: Approval signifies that the proposed project fits within the academic framework and resources of the unit, requirements for new or renovated facilities/space have been discussed with the appropriate people, cost sharing and resource commitments will be met by the department/college unless otherwise approved, regulatory requirements have been addressed, and that Sponsored Programs may process the proposal.
- Selecting approve indicates agreement with the information provided and advances the Proposal Development Document to the next reviewer
- Caution! Selecting disapprove will prevent any further actions or approvals from occurring. The individual who disapproves the proposal will need to provide their rationale for the disapproval in the comment box to complete the process. No further changes or modifications to the proposal will be permitted. The disapproval option should rarely be used and should only be selected for proposals that will not be submitted to a sponsor
- Selecting return indicates the proposal requires additional information or corrections in order for the reviewer to approve. The reviewer who returns the proposal will need to provide their rationale in the Return Reason box to complete the return process (see below). Returned proposals will revert back to a draft status, allowing the initiator to make revisions and approve the document changes reinitiating the review and approval process.
If you select return, KC will prompt you to enter an explanation in the Return Reason field. Once entered, click the yes button. If you click approve without answering your Proposal Person Certification questions an error will be returned on the Key Personnel panel, with the Proposal Person Certification panel open to where the questions must be answered. These questions must be answered and the save button must be clicked before you will be able to approve the proposal.
- When the approve button has been selected (assuming all errors have been fixed), you will transition to a page with the following message:
- Click the OK button to transition to your PROJECT DISCLOSURE
How to Complete a PROJECT DISCLOSURE for COI Reporting
- Continuing from step 16 above, answer the first question in the screening questionnaire panel by clicking the radio button to the left of the answer you would like to select. If you have active financial entities, the system will default this question to be answered “yes”.
- Answer the question in the Questionnaire panel by clicking the radio button to the left of the answer you would like to select.
- If you answered No to the Screening Questionnaire and Questionnaire questions (steps 17 and 18 above), skip to step 21. Otherwise continue to step 20.
- If you answered Yes to either the Screening Questionnaire or Questionnaire questions, you will need to answer the Related to this Project? question on the Project & Financial Entity Relationships panel for each active entity you have reported. You can answer this question for all entities by clicking the dropdown at the top and making a selection, which will auto-populate that answer for each entity. You can also answer the question for each entity separately.
- At the bottom of the page there is a Certification panel with a checkbox next to a certification statement. Click the checkbox.
- After the checkbox has been clicked a submit button will appear. Click the submit button.
- A transition page will appear with the following message:
- If you would like to leave your ANNUAL DISCLOSURE to be updated at a later time, close out of your browser window.
- If you would like to proceed with updating your ANNUAL DISCLOSURE at this time, click the OK button.
- Your PROJECT DISCLOSURE is now complete. For instructions on how to update your ANNUAL DISCLOSURE, please use the following Job Aid: https://ra-project.vprgs.msu.edu/sites/default/files/KC-EUE-CreatingNewOrAnnualDisclosure.pdf. Because the system transitioned you into the Annual Update when you clicked the OK button, you can skip the first few steps in the Job Aid and start with step 3.